Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, October 19, 2008

    The Road to Jerusalem

    OK. So until now this was a Russia blog. But for the next three weeks it's going to dramatically change in character and become - wait for it - a travel blog.

    That's right, I'm travelling across the Middle East for The Globe and Mail, which will be running my Road to Jerusalem blog on its website as well.

    After spending much of the past seven years reporting from the region (I first landed here on Sept. 12, 2001) and covering not only the fall of Baghdad and the real war that followed, but the Cedar Revolution in Lebanon, the rise of Hamas, the various failed peace processes and the 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah - not to mention living in Jerusalem for the past 3 1/2 years and Beirut before that - I'm driving across the region to take stock of how people here were affected by the George W. Bush era and how they view an Obama or McCain presidency.

    I'm starting in the southern corner of Iran, and will head from there via Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian West Bank to Jerusalem, the city that's arguably at the centre of it all.

    I hope you enjoy this change of pace. Let me know what you think as I go along. And please check out my first newspaper report of the journey, which appeared yesterday.

    No comments: